Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rainy Day

It's raining today. Again, or still, depending on how the person views it. Either way, it's wet outside.

The house has been empty for a almost 24 hours now. My wife is at a ladies' retreat, my stepdaughter is with her father, and that leaves me home with the two finches, the two ferrets and a 15 gallon aquarium of assorted fish. And it's raining.

Since cleaning the garage, fixing the front steps, digging out our spot for a garden, or other assorted "outside" tasks are on hold, the kitchen is cleaned up.

I would like to be outside today, but I just can't risk it. Growing up in the late 80's and graduating in the early 90's, I remember what my social studies teachers told us acid rain does to the gargoyles on the French cathedrals, and I just can't chance my nose dissolving away. (Why was science taught in social studies, but the topic was missing in science class...oh,that's another topic.)

The rain will bring, and already is bringing, growth and life back. My yard has changed from a dull, gray-brown to hints of vibrant greens. The dirt left from the snows is slowly washing away, and the plants are starting to regenerate. The rain is necessary, but I wish it would hold off until the work week.

Off to find something else that beckons my attention. Something to escape the rain.

1 comment:

tracilovesasa said...

ahhh...public school. i remember that whole 'acid rain' plight. the pics of dissolving statues...never mind they were centuries old. ahhh...the 80's.

well, at least you can rest at night knowing your children will be educated at home by their loving, intelligent mother and not by the government or agendists.
:)