Friday, March 23, 2007

$10 Bill

Sometimes living means accepting the small blessings. Walking the 5 blocks between bus transfers, I happened upon a $10 bill. Crumpled like an old napkin, it looked as if it was discarded without regard for the litter it contributed.

Looking around for the rightful owner, and seeing precious few individuals, I picked it up. I thought about the significance of $10. What, really, is $10 in the canvas of life? A lunch? 1/2 the cost of a skim, decaf, mochachino (carob instead of chocolate) with a non-dairy topping? Bus fare for a few rides?

Will the old owner really miss it? It was probably missed yesterday. Next week - possibly. Next week - doubtful. Next year - what $10? I can waste $10 in less creative ways than merely losing it while searching for my car keys.

For me, the $10 bill was two high-fat, low nutrition, breakfast burritos...and $7.50 to spare. It was a small blessing and a small encouragement. I felt that I was being looked after, as if God was saying, "I see you. This is a gift to let you know you are special to Me."

$10. What's it really worth?

2 comments:

Asa said...

honey, you don't really drink that kind of mochachino you described do you? honey?

i'm glad you are seeing the blessing in your little money discovery.

btw, can i borrow a buck? you see there's this bag i want...

;)

AKVeek said...

I've come to where when I find money just lying around I stop and think before picking it up. How's my day been going so far? Is it likely that someone else will come along and find it if I leave it there? If my day is already going pretty good, why not leave it to brighten someone else's day? Although, I've never had a good enough day to leave more than a buck behind ;)

-Aaron