Friday, October 09, 2009

Obama and the Nobel Peace Prize?

I am utterly stunned. I just saw that the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize went to President Obama! I have two glaring issues with this.

First, Obama hasn't even been in office for one year. Prior to that, he wasn't in the US Senate for a full term. Prior to that, he was only in the Illinois House - not a bad gig, but he wasn't on the international scene. Now, with our nation split, his political party in peril, and growing unpopularity, the world community chose to grant him one of the highest honors in existence.

Second, this solidifies my belief the Nobel Peace Prize is a joke. Jimmy Carter won on his intentions towards peace in the Middle East. Al Gore beat out a woman credited for saving hundreds of children during the Holocost. Now, a president who has accomplished nothing, neither domestically nor internationally, is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

The US, and the world community, had better wake up soon. This worship of a man that, while attaining the highest office in the land, is eerie at best, dangerous at worst. Until he accomplishes something of substance, I won't be holding him this high esteem.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Um, yeah, what he said!
Excuse me now, while I go vomit...