Tuesday, October 01, 2013

The Debt Ceiling - My Doomsday Scenario

First, let me preface this by saying I doubt this will happen.  That said, it's a real possibility.

Today is the first day of the Federal Government shutdown.  Recent history - recent as in the past 5 years - has shown Congress is so entrenched that compromise is nearly impossible. And this is the precursor to the bigger showdown: the debt ceiling debate.

Maybe today's shutdown will delay our reaching the Congressionally-imposed debt ceiling by a few days, and maybe that will delay what I think could be a major crisis in this nation. When the debt ceiling is reached, however, stakes will be raised.

Here is what I see as the potential, however unlikely, scenario. Congress has the responsibility to authorize borrowing and spending per the Constitution (I could spell out the enumerated powers, but I'll let you read the Constitution; sections 7.1 and 8.2 are starters).  Provided Congress cannot agree upon a new spending limit, things start moving.

Some are arguing the President violate The Constitution, because, to ignore it, is to violate other aspects of his oath.  This is where things get interesting. At this point, I won't discuss what I see are the potential financial implications; I'll stick to the political.

Should the President ignore the debt and continue to borrow, the House will have no choice but to draw up Articles of Impeachment. The House will, most likely approve the charges, and the Senate will then be forced to try the case.  Given the Senate's loyalty to the President, I doubt they will convict.

Once the President is cleared of the charges, Texas, Oklahoma and, potentially, Arizona and the Carolinas, will withdraw their Congressional representation - leaving their Senators to continue to voice protest - and cast no-confidence votes in the Federal Government.  When this happens, they will withdraw all participation in Federal programs.  Other states will hold votes to determine their stance.

I doubt this will play out, but it's not out of the question.  What will happen?  We shall see.


No comments: