Monday, January 03, 2011

Purpose Driven Life

If you're anything like me, you have a bookshelf full of volumes you "intend to read some day." Where they came from, why I held on to them through the many Goodwill runs, why they remained on the shelf, remains a mystery. And yet, the books are there.

Such is the case with The Purpose Driven Life, by Rick Warren. It is maybe one of the most debated books in modern Evangelical circles, and maybe one of the most loved/hated books...well, next to Joel Osteen's Your Best Life Now (and this could be it's own topic - maybe some other time).

So why work through the book now? Why read the book at this time in my life? Why start this book at this time? I honestly don't know. For whatever reason, this book grabbed my attention, and it stayed with me.

I started it mid-December as a devotional, and, while it's broken into 40 chapters, and one chapter per day, I'm choosing to work through it at a pace that feels comfortable. So far, I'm on day 12, and I'm actually getting some good information from it, especially some really good insights and reminders as to why man was created.

If I had one critique, it would be that I'm not sure I agree with Warren's choice to use many Bible translations. He explained his logic in the first section, and, while I disagree with his conclusion, I can work beyond this.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for by reading the book, but, at a minimum, I'll have one less "maybe someday" book on my shelf.


No comments: